B4 School Check
The B4 School Check is a free health and development check for pre-school children/ tamariki after they turn four and before they start school to make sure they are healthy. It’s the last Well Child Tamariki Ora check your child will have and will help give them the best start at school. Remember to take your child’s My Health Book with you to the check.
The B4 School Check is done by registered nurses and usually takes about 45 minutes.
A B4 School Check (B4SC) screening will include:
- General health screen – For things like asthma, eczema, allergies and your child’s general health
- Dental – Is your child enrolled and have they been seen by a dental therapist in the past two years?
- Immunisations – Are these up-to-date? [Link to Imms page still to be created by Sue coming soon]
- Growth – Any concerns with eating, diet and your child's weight? We can refer to a dietitian if required.
- Behavioural – Do you have any concerns with your child’s behaviour? Can we support you with this?
- Development – Is your child’s development on-track for starting school, e.g. can they hold a pencil properly, recognise numbers shapes and colours?
- Vision and hearing – Can your child see and hear well? This is done in your child’s early childhood setting if they attend regularly, otherwise a booking can be made with the Whanganui Regional Health Network clinic.
What happens if there is a concern or issue identified?
- The nurse will work in partnership with you to identify the best service to meet the needs of your child and/or whānau.
- These local services are usually free.
- If your child is not eligible for this four-year-old health check and you have concerns about their health or development, talk to your doctor or practice nurse.