Poisoning is the third most common cause of injury-related hospital admission for children aged 0-4 years old. Most of these injuries happen in the home.
Cleaner or chemical poisonings occur most frequently to 1 and 2 year olds, and poisonings from drugs and medications are spread across the under-5 age group.
Be S.A.F.E. and follow these simple rules:
- STORE all medicines, chemicals and cleaners out of children's reach and sight.
- ASK your pharmacist for safety caps on medicines - there may be a small cost.
- FOLLOW the dose instructions from your doctor or pharmacist.
- ENSURE you read and follow safety instructions on medicines, chemicals and cleaners.
Other safety messages
- Child Resistant Packaging including safety caps are not child proof they are only child resistant
- Store medications and other toxic substances in their original container, ensuring lids and closure mechanisms are properly closed
- Dispose of medications and other toxic substances in a safe manner
- If poisoning is suspected phone the National Poisons Centre on 0800 POISON (0800 764 766) or contact a health professional.
- CALL 111 if the person is unconscious or has stopped breathing.